Monday, June 2, 2008

Breaking Dawn: Chapter 1...{Eeeeeeeeee!!!!!}


Here is a sneak peak at the first chapter of Breaking Dawn...I have goosebumps just thinking about this book!!!
1. ENGAGED
NO ONE IS STARING AT YOU, I promised myself. No one is staring at you. No one is staring at you.But, because I couldn't lie convincingly even to myself, I had to check.As I sat waiting for one of the three traffic lights in town to turn green, I peeked to the right — in her minivan, Mrs. Weber had turned her whole torso in my direction. Her eyes bored into mine, and I flinched back, wondering why she didn't drop her gaze or look ashamed. It was still considered rude to stare at people, wasn't it? Didn't that apply to me anymore?Then I remembered that these windows were so darkly tinted that she probably had no idea if it was even me in here, let alone that I'd caught her looking. I tried to take some comfort in the fact that she wasn't really staring at me, just the car.My car. Sigh.I glanced to the left and groaned. Two pedestrians were frozen on the sidewalk, missing their chance to cross as they stared. Behind them, Mr. Marshall was gawking through the plate glass window of his little souvenir shop. At least he didn't have his nose pressed up against the glass. Yet.The light turned green and, in my hurry to escape, I stomped on the gas pedal without thinking — the normal way I would have punched it to get my ancient Chevy truck moving.Engine snarling like a hunting panther, the car jolted forward so fast that my body slammed into the black leather seat and my stomach flattened against my spine.''Arg!'' I gasped as I fumbled for the brake. Keeping my head, I merely tapped the pedal. The car lurched to an absolute standstill anyway.I couldn't bear to look around at the reaction. If there had been any doubt as to who was driving this car before, it was gone now. With the toe of my shoe, I gently nudged the gas pedal down one half millimeter, and the car shot forward again.I managed to reach my goal, the gas station. If I hadn't been running on vapors, I wouldn't have come into town at all. I was going without a lot of things these days, like Pop-Tarts and shoelaces, to avoid spending time in public.Moving as if I were in a race, I got the hatch open, the cap off, the card scanned, and the nozzle in the tank within seconds. Of course, there was nothing I could do to make the numbers on the gauge pick up the pace. They ticked by sluggishly, almost as if they were doing it just to annoy me.It wasn't bright out — a typically drizzly day in Forks, Washington — but I still felt like a spotlight was trained on me, drawing attention to the delicate ring on my left hand. At times like this, sensing the eyes on my back, it felt as if the ring were pulsing like a neon sign: Look at me, look at me.It was stupid to be so self-conscious, and I knew that. Besides my dad and mom, did it really matter what people were saying about my engagement? About my new car? About my mysterious acceptance into an Ivy League college? About the shiny black credit card that felt red-hot in my back pocket right now?''Yeah, who cares what they think,'' I muttered under my breath.
Are you a twilight fan? Let me know if your as obsessed and in love with Edward, Jacob, and Bella as I am! Who are you cheering for?

7 comments:

Payne Family said...

Kelly-
That just gave me goosebumps! I can not wait until this comes out. I am an Edward/Bella fan all the way. Jacob is nice.....but there is NO comparison :)

Jen

The "Feet" said...

I can't wait for the book to finally come out!!! Bella better stick with Edward. I like Jacob, but not for bella.

Kristi F. said...

Hey Kelly, this is Kristi (Reese) Francis. I came across your blog from Shelby's. You have such cute posts! I'm always looking for good books for my kids so I might have to look into some of those. I am also in love with Twilight (Edward/Bella)! I can't even wait for the next one! You can see my blog at francisfacts.blogspot.com

Mindy Widdowson said...

Hey Kelly-
Talk about a teaser! I am considering getting a babysitter for the day when the book comes out. I am not even getting out of bed that day. I will start and finish it all in one day! No that wouldn't be fun. I have to savor it! :) Thanks again for book club the other night...Fab!
Love,
Mindy

Kelie said...

oh kel!!! totally obsessed with these books and so excited for the new one! i'm routing for bella and edward all the way...it will ruin it for me if it ends up any different! thanks for posting this!

Bree aka Breeza said...

Kelly! Thank you for posting that little teaser, I am COMPLETELY an EDWARD and bella fan! Jacob is a cool kid, but not a sexy, mysterious,passionate,perfect, seductive vampire.... go Edward!Marsh is having Jared withdrawals and I would love to see you, so lets hang out soon!

P.S. I have a first grader that loves to read, I need to talk with you...

The Lovely Gentleman said...

Thankks for this blog post