Sunday, April 24, 2011

A book worthy of your nightstand


This Easter I wanted to give everyone I care about a gift.

My gift to YOU this Easter is a book recommendation. Rarely do I recommend a book to everyone like this but when I do its because it's touched my heart and spoken to my spirit in a way that has changed my way of thinking about something from that point on.
This book by Lloyd C. Douglas "THE ROBE" has changed my testimony and relationship with the Lord forever. I felt strongly that I needed to share this book with someone, I'm not sure who, but I hope this book finds whoever is in need of it. I know that if you decide to read it, it will strengthen your testimony and change something inside of your heart as it did mine.

Here is a quick synopsis of the story:
"This story has a biblical foundation, and regards the tale a Roman soldier present at the crucifixion of Jesus. This particular soldier is the one who engaged in casting lots (a dice game) for the robe of Jesus and won. Lloyd Douglas gave this character a name (Marcellus Gallio)and an incredible fictional life story. Marcellus turns out to be a Roman Tribune, the senior Roman soldier present on scene at the execution site. He is the son of an important Roman senator, and even later finds favor with Emperor Tiberius and is commissioned to investigate, on behalf of the Emperor's curiosity, the new emerging religion of "Christianity".


This book also touched my mother deeply when she read it with us in my Book Club last year. Month's later when a good friend of hers birthday came along, she decided to gift this book to her with a personal note inside which said,

"...I was drawn to this story in a way that I almost hungered for the positive and often spiritual feelings I experienced while reading it. I felt an intimate connection to the Savior, in spite of his character only being revealed through the eyes and thoughts of others. When I read how His Spirit affected those he touched, I understood the longing these people felt to be in his presence. The positive energy and light that flows from Him to those who embrace His teachings, will in turn, help them to feel that power within themselves to change.



The story pulled me in and I felt as one reviewer said, “as though you're walking side by side with the characters, living with them and enduring their emotions, seeing the things that they see.”

Lastly, I want to point out the entirely unique story line of this book. The idea of picking up the pieces after Jesus is gone and being able to "watch' as we followed his disciples in their formation of a new church--lost, alone, all muddling their experiences together to create the picture of Jesus, all piecing together their puzzles without the help of written material like the Gospel...it's amazing and unlike anything you've ever read before.

In my humble opinion, this it is one of the BEST books ever written. It was first published in 1942 although it is truly a timeless piece of work and I believe it to be a classic that will stand the test of times. This book should be taught in schools and read by anyone who wishes to find a relationship with Christ and walk with his true disciples...the people he taught with whom his spirit resides.

 "This faith, is not like a deed to a house in which one may live with full rights of possession. It is more like a kit of tools with which a man may build himself a house. The tools will be worth just what he does with them. When he lays them down, they will have no value until he takes them up again."



— Lloyd C. Douglas (The Robe)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm intrigued! Would you let me borrow it?

Destiny Rayburn said...

I'll have to get it. It needs to be in story form for me to read though. Sounds like it is... Thanks for the review!

*Kelly* said...

Yes, it's a fictional story Destiny!

Sara said...

Awesome! Just what I am in need f right now! Thanks Kelly!